Sunday, May 27, 2007

Longing for a simpler life.....


I have just finished reading a couple of series by Beverly Lewis (Abram's Daughters and Annie's People). They are about Amish and Mennonite families and lives. Great books! Great message!


The Amish and Mennonite take life slowly and only have the necessities for life. They are self-sufficient and rely on God to take care of their needs. Friends and family (after God) are the center of their lives. There is no hustle and bustle, no need to be better than the neighbors. They are content with what they have and their life.

It has made me want to scale back on all that I do. I don't need to have new clothes or books. I don't need to be involved in every activity there is for stay-at-home moms. And my children don't need to be rushed from one activity to the next. Why does it seem so hard these days to take the time to relax, spend time with family and friends, be content with what we have? Why do we rely solely on ourselves for our happiness and not rely on God to take care of us? Instead of getting busier and busier I want to slow down, enjoy the life that I have been given by God. If I don't get to every MOPs meeting or the kids don't play t-ball, who cares. We will have spent time as a family enjoying each other, not out trying to do more, be more. I guess simple isn't too bad.

1 comment:

MamaK said...

Erin,

I have been seeking and implementing this same sentiment for a while now (just a bit at a time) and it brings SUCH peace to our lives. We long for it, too...and we know that it just HAS to exist in this crazy world!

Bring it on.